Director of Health Data and Informatics
Do you have excellent knowledge of health data and informatics and would like to make a difference to national health research?
Health Data Research UK Cambridge is looking to recruit a highly-motivated, strategically aware and skilled Director of Health Data and Informatics to join our pioneering organisation. The role will be based at the Wellcome Sanger Institute on the Wellcome Genome Campus.
Formed in April 2018, Health Data Research UK (HDR UK) is the national institute for health data science, comprising 31 universities and research institutes, working collaboratively to make game-changing improvements in people's health by harnessing data science at scale across the UK.
HDR UK Cambridge is based at the Wellcome Sanger Institute and its collaborative partners are:
- Wellcome Sanger Institute
- EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute
- Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- University of Cambridge
About the role:
As our Director of Health Data and Informatics, you will be responsible for devising and implementing the health data and informatics strategy for the HDR UK Cambridge partnership site in conjunction with the HDR UK Cambridge Director. This strategy will feed into the overall HDR UK national strategy.
- Identify and deliver the data and informatics requirements for each package of work in HDR UK Cambridge and for national initiatives
- Develop new collaborations and identify future opportunities (with a key focus on informatics related dimensions) in order to deliver the scientific strategy and continue the growth of the programme
- Supervise the operation of HDR UK Cambridge's work to access and link electronic health record data and make this available for analysis, including the appropriate security and governance requirements
- Manage the HDR UK Cambridge health informatics team
A key member of the leadership team for HDR UK Cambridge, you will also hold honorary posts (when deemed necessary) at other partner organisations within HDR UK Cambridge (i.e. Cambridge University and its associated hospitals and EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute).
You will have substantial working experience at a senior level in a complex organisational structure with an excellent track record in health/clinical informatics, either in a research or health care delivery context, and a broad and detailed understanding of ethical and regulatory issues related to use of health data in research. A strategic thinker with exceptional interpersonal skills, you will be able to demonstrate senior leadership in managing people and projects and the ability to establish and develop key networks and collaborations.
We are looking for a motivated, creative and flexible individual with a personal ethos of continuous improvement. Please see the job description attached for further details.
BA/BSc degree in a relevant scientific discipline (or relevant practical experience working in the health informatics domain e.g. within the NHS).
Extensive experience of project conception, planning and implementation in health informatics.
- Strong track record in health/clinical informatics, either in research or health care delivery.
- Substantial working experience at a senior level in a complex organisational structure, preferably in a Higher Educational Institution or an NHS organisation with a strong research profile.
- Experience of leading PPI&E work in relation to science research.
- A track record in successful industry engagement.
- Substantial experience with understanding ethical and regulatory issues related to clinical research, and confidentiality / data protection.
- Excellent IT skills and knowledge, with the ability to keep up to date with developments in the field.
- Broad and detailed understanding of IT/informatics, including developments relating to use of health records for research, such as greater use of Trusted Research Environments.
Communication and Collaboration:
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to lead teams of people and deal with people at all levels successfully.
- Excellent networking and relationship building and the ability to work productively with both internal and external stakeholders
- High level of influencing and negotiating skills.
- Proven Strategic thinker with experience developing and implementing technical strategy.
- A credible leader with experience of inspiring, motivating and influencing others, managing through others and developing and managing high-performing teams
- Ability to understand scientific and technical details, provide concise analyses of complex issues and options and breakdown complex problems to actionable steps.
- Demonstrates initiative, creativity, flexibility and a personal ethos of continuous improvement.
- Experience of developing and delivering complex strategic objectives.
- High level of organisational skills with the ability to plan multiple and schedule multiple projects effectively and to agreed timescales.
- Self- motivated , able to work independently and manage own workload.
- Be a champion of equality, diversity and inclusion and work collaboratively with diverse stakeholders.
We appreciate the importance of achieving a healthy work-life balance and support this with a number of benefits, including a flexible working policy for those who may wish to apply to amend their working pattern or arrangement. We welcome applications for this position that are looking for flexible working , such as flexible start and finish times, and equal consideration will be given to individuals regardless of their working preferences.
Please apply with your CV and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role using the criteria set out above and in the job description.
Closing Date: 18th March 2021