Sense is a national disability charity that supports people with complex communication needs to be understood, connected and valued. We are here for every person who faces communication barriers in a world that relies on being able to see and hear well to be connected. Our flexible and personalised services empower people to communicate and express themselves - be it through speech or sign, touch or movement, gesture or sound, art or dance. Together, we connect differently and campaign passionately for the right to lead connected and fulfilled lives.
We are currently recruiting a permanent Finance Director to support us in delivering our ambitious plans. The role will be based in Birmingham at our brand new, pioneering centre, Touchbase Pears, which offer services for the whole community, such as a café, rooms for hire, work and vocational opportunities, as well as providing specialist support for children and adults with complex communication needs.
As Finance Director you will ensure the financial management and financial good health of the whole organisation. Specifically you will:
- Lead and develop a large, multi-site finance team and work closely with the Group Director of Finance and Resources to oversee all aspects of Sense's financial activities, business planning and treasury management.
- Develop the charity's financial strategy and control Sense's finances to meet our short and longer term commitments.
- Lead the annual external audit and accounts production and ensure that they are delivered on time and to the highest standards.
- Oversee a finance function that enables us to comply with the highest standards of financial management in the charity sector.
- Ensure that robust annual budget setting is planned and delivered, and that policies, systems and processes are effective, efficient and up to date.
- Work collaboratively as a key member of the Executive Team to ensure the values and mission of Sense are met.
The ideal candidate will be a qualified accountant, fully conversant with charity and company accounting. You will be an experienced leader, able to promote and embed a culture of continuous improvement and service across the finance team, and partner with the wider organisation to ensure a sustainable commercial approach is applied. You will have an understanding of care provision, contracts, funding and commissioning in order to support Sense's activities.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an organisation that is working to achieve our vision of a world where no one is isolated, left out, or unable to fulfil their potential.
Closing date for applications: Monday 23rd October
First stage competency based interview with Hays: w/c 23rd October
Final stage interview with Sense: Wednesday 8th November